Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The erased

I hate to admit this, but I became familiar with the issue of 'the erased' in Slovenia only recently (May be, it is because we had other issues to worry about in Kosova). Anyway, the story of this Kosovar guy seems especially interesting and understandably tragic. It turns out the Slovenes are not quite the 'nice Yugoslavs,' that they are assumed to be. Every society has its skeletons in its closet, but it would be nice if they are dealt with and not ignored.

Slovenian authorities turned legal resident into asylum seeker
16 Jan 2007 17:38:01 GMT

LJUBLJANA, Slovenia, January 16 (UNHCR) – Alija Berisha is puzzled and angry. "Why do I have to ask for asylum in my own country? I have a right to live in Slovenia with my family," the ethnic Kosovan Roma tells a UNHCR visitor.

Reuters AlertNet - Slovenian authorities turned legal resident into asylum seeker


No comments: